Nov 27, 2012

I'm a Believer.

I have a list.  It's a list of things that, when I get to Heaven, I'm asking God why they happened here on Earth.  Number one on the list, at the very top--highlighted, circled, in bold print--is why childhood cancer exists.  Why babies?   Why little children?  Why cancer?  Kids are supposed to be worry-free.  Their biggest problems should be which cartoon to watch and how long mom will let them stay up before bedtime.  They shouldn't be worrying about chemo treatments, scans and losing their hair.  Why kids, God?
Recently, a friend of mine announced on Facebook that her sweet little one year old, Brooklyn, went to the doctor.  While there, they found a tumor in her abdomen.  A tumor that turned out to be neuroblastoma.  Why Brooklyn, God?  When I read the news, I couldn't believe it.  After all, Brooklyn is my daughter's age.  How is it possible that she has CANCER?  I can't even begin to imagine how her parents feel.  Anger?  Shock?  Denial?  Grief?  All of the above, I'm sure.  My heart immediately went out to Erin, Brooklyn's mom.  I don't even know Erin that well.  Our paths have crossed over the years and we're friendly acquaintances, but I'm sure she wouldn't consider me a close friend.  But that doesn't matter.  She's a fellow mother.  As a mother, I know how it feels when your child is sick or in pain.  To know that your child is hurting and you can do absolutely nothing to take that pain away.  But I don't know what it's like to have a child with cancer.  No mother should ever have to know what that feels like.  Why Erin, God?  The more I thought about it, the more helpless I felt.  I prayed.  I BEGGED God to be with Erin and her husband Daniel.  To give them strength to get through this incredibly hard and long journey with their daughter.  I prayed for the doctors that would be helping to find out more about Brooklyn's cancer and what could be done to "make it go away (if only it were that easy!)."  I begged God to heal Brooklyn.  To take away the cancer and perform a miracle.  I have faith.  I know that my God is huge and that healing Brooklyn is something he can do.  But most of all, I just prayed for Brooklyn.  For a BABY that is going through something so adult, like scans and screens and treatments.  Brooklyn and her parents have been on my mind constantly since I read the news.  And even after praying, I still felt helpless.  Until one of their family members posted a link to Brooklyn's Caring Bridge website and I saw a link for donations.


Immediately, I logged on to give a donation.  Erin and Daniel are going to be off for, possibly, months while they fight this monster alongside their sweet little girl.  They're going to have lost income, hospital bills, treatment costs, doctor bills--mounting expenses for any young family.  So, along with my prayers, I gave a donation to help this family on their journey.  It wasn't much, but every little bit counts when it comes to battling cancer.  I ask that you do the same.  You may not know Brooklyn or Erin or Daniel.  Does it matter?  Here's a family....a BABY that's dealing with cancer.  An anonymous donation will pick up their spirits.  Do you all remember Lane?  The young boy who battled cancer and gained worldwide attention?  How awesome would it be if we could raise that much awareness for Brooklyn?  If we could raise that much money for Brooklyn's family?  Are you willing to make a small donation to help this family?  More than a just a monetary donation, it shows Erin, Daniel and Brooklyn that we CARE. I'm hurting for them and I hate that they're going through something like this and I donated money just so they know that they aren't alone.  So, Erin or family, if you're reading this.  I care.  I'm praying for you.  I am praying that you have the strength to get through this and come out on the other side, victorious. I'm praying every day---MULTIPLE times a day for Brooklyn and that she has the ability to beat this thing like I know she can.  Because I'm one of Brooklyn's Believers. 


If you're interested in making a donation, please visit Brooklyn's donation website at: http://www.giveforward.com/brooklynsbelievers
More than anything, spread the word. This family isn't alone. They need to know that we're here and we believe in them.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thank You! You have a huge heart, Glad you are in our corner!!!

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to the parents of Brooklyn! My cousin's son was diagnosed a year and a half ago with osteosarcoma.. it's so tough watching him go through treatments knowing there is nothing I can do.. :*(

Post a Comment

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...