Apr 24, 2010

Embarking on a shopping detox. Pray for me.

While reading my "What Would Audrey Do?" book, I had a mini-revelation. I am slighty materialistic. Audrey, according to many different testimonials, was very down-to-earth and extremely simplistic despite her movie star status and obvious glamour. Of course, she wore the name brand designers and always looked ridiculously stylish, but I wonder if she was a shopaholic. Let me start off by saying, I am not, in any way, a shopaholic. I do not go on shopping binges, spend more money than I make on clothing or shop several days a week. However, I do indulge in cute clothing on sale, ballet flats of any shape or color and all types of purses. But why? Why do I have 5 pairs of black ballet flats? Granted, they are all different--patent, square toed, decorated with a large flower--but still black. Why do I have a purse collection that is starting to hit the 50-60+ items range? Why on earth do I have garments hanging in my closet still sporting their department store tags?? Something in those articles of clothing spoke to me and suggested they'd make a good outfit, so why haven't they been worn? These questions led me to take action. Are you ready? ***takes deep breath*** I will be going on a 3 month, absolutley no clothing, shoes or purses of any kind NO shopping spree. I am going to go home and rotate my clothing. I am going to move lesser worn items up to the front and rediscover why I liked them in the first place. I am going to learn how to dress outfits up and make them different by using accessories. I am going to take those tags off my shirts and wear them and make people think I am wearing something new. Think of how great this will be for me. I will learn that I don't need new clothes whenever I see the large red CLEARANCE sign. My bank account (and my husband) will be so much happier. Instead of focusing on things for myself, I can focus on other people. At the end of the 3 months, I am hoping to feel renewed and good about myself, knowing that I resisted the urge to shop for myself. I'll keep you posted on my progress as a "fewer" materials girl. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...