Jan 13, 2014

Bean Chimichangas.

Have you ever found a recipe that was so easy and then so yummy that it made you want to stand on the kitchen table, fists raised in victory because you've finally mastered at least one simple task for the day?

No?  Just me?  *awkward silence*

Anyway.

Last week, I made Bean Chimichangas.  They were so easy, I almost thought I was leaving something out.  Dinner is NEVER that easy for me (except popping a frozen pizza in the oven).  Since I'm a giving person, I thought I would share it will all of my lovely readers (adapted from this recipe).

Bean Chimichangas

Ingredients needed:
-8 Burrito sized tortillas (or 12 regular, taco sized)
- 1/2 block of Queso Blanco Velveeta (Yes, I realize there's a Velveeta shortage.  Maybe you can make these when they replenish their stock).
-1 can of Rotel tomatoes and chilies
-1 can refried beans
-Canola oil (or vegetable oil, whatever is on hand)
-2 eggs
-Mexican blend shredded cheese (optional)

1.  Put refried beans, Velveeta and Rotel in a saucepan and heat until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.

2.  Pop your tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds so they're more pliable and easy to fold.

3.  Whisk your eggs together in a small bowl.  Put the bean mixture in the middle of a tortilla--I put about 2 1/2 large scoops with a spatula in the middle of each of my burrito sized tortillas.  If you like cheese, sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the beans.  Take a small brush, dip into the eggs and spread around the beans, then fold the tortilla up.  To fold, I started with the bottom, closest to me, then worked my way around the tortilla.  I added more egg on the tortillas where I was folding to make it stick better when closed.

4.  Add a little oil (approx. 2-3 tablesppons) to a skillet and put over medium heat.  When the oil is heated, flash fry the chimichangas, heating about 2 minutes each side.


5.  Once the chimichanga is heated, put it seam side down into a casserole dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.


6.  After baking, top with whatever toppings you prefer (I put salsa and sour cream on mine....I also think lettuce, sour cream and diced tomatoes would have been good) and serve. 

When I served this to my husband, he took ONE bite and said "This is awesome!"  Ladies and gentlemen, in the 4 1/2 years we've been married, that's NEVER happened.  Not once.  He's complimented me on dinner, thanked me, or told me he liked something I made, but never declared something to be awesome after one bite.  Talk about a confidence boost.  

The best part about this meal:  since I only needed to serve two chimichangas for dinner, I was able to make all of the chimichangas at once and freeze the rest for future meals/lunches.  I simply took my Reynolds Wrappers (These things are the best for wrapping individual foods...and they were just a dollar a box at the Dollar Tree), wrapped them individually and put them straight in the freezer.



I ate one for lunch the other day.  I simply unwrapped it, popped it back in the oven at 350, for about 10 minutes.  It was actually better as a leftover because putting it back in the oven made it even crispier (more crispy??).  So. Good.

The fantastic part about this recipe is that it is completely customizable.  You have the basics of how to make homemade chimichangas....now just roll with it and add whatever you like.  Want meat?  Add chicken or beef to the Rotel and cheese mixture.  Like the taste of regular Velveeta?  Use it instead of the Queso Blanco.  Like yours spicy?  Buy the can of hot Rotel chiles and tomatoes and add some spices to your bean mixture.  This can literally go wherever you want it to.

And there you go.  Simple, yummy, customizable, enough for leftovers.---and Marty approved.  Shouldn't every recipe be like this???

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...