Jan 9, 2014

Dress up a dresser.

So, I got bored last night (it's not like there was anything to do....you certainly can't go outside without becoming frostbit in a matter of seconds) and decided to do a little redecorating in my master bedroom.

Here's the beauty of this little redecoration project:  it didn't cost me a dime.  I used items that were already in my house, some being used in other places, some not being used at all.  Free.

Before:


Shew, what a hot mess. Books I never read, a couple pictures, the painting of "Mooey" that's going back on the mantle when my Christmas decorations come down. And do you remember that square piece from my "October Do-Overs" post (you know, forever and ever and ever ago)?  Here's what it looked like before:


Honestly, I don't even know what to call this thing, because I have absolutely no idea what it is.  I do know that it's a cardboard-like material, but harder and that it was a gigantic pain in the rear to spray paint.  So....let's just call it "The Thing," shall we?  Once I finally got The Thing painted, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. Problem is, The Thing has been painted for a couple months and I've never really done anything with it. 

After!


After I hung The Thing up, I envisioned it as a bulletin board type of set up. I hung up a clock that was in the corner of our bedroom that wasn't easily seen anyway. I also hung up the "Love you more" sign that was just sitting on top of another dresser, just waiting to be hung up. The picture frames are Walmart cheapies that were scattered around the house. The basket holds all my ideas that I've ripped out of magazines. And the flowers have been making their way around my house. I think they've sat on a table in every single room, at least once. 

Doesn't it look nicer than before?? It looks like I actually took the time an effort to decorate the top of the dresser. I'm going to add two more picture frames to make it symmetrical (yes, I'm one of THOSE people) and then it'll be done. I'm pretty pleased. 

After I finished the top of that dresser, I started looking around my bedroom. An my eyes instantly fell on my bedside table. 

Before:


How sad. I will say, I do think I have an eye for interior design (I just don't have the money to prove it!), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to decorate a table top. I'll arrange furniture and pick out picture frames and wall decor all day long. But ask me to decorate a bookshelf and I'll stare at you like you're speaking another language. I just don't know how to arrange random things like pictures and knick knacks to make them look like they belong. So this table was perfect practice for me. 

After: 


I got rid of the old radio that isn't used anymore. I put the books upright an added a bookend. The picture is our wedding invitation that one of our guests had framed for us. I found the cake stand at TJ Maxx forever ago. I was thinking it would be the perfect place to hold my earrings or jewelry when I take them off at night. 

The table is far from perfect, but I think it's a good start.

Do you have any tips on how to decorate table tops or bookshelves? I'd love to hear them! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...