Jul 14, 2014

Living Room Curtain Tests

Maybe one day I'll start posting things that aren't about my house decor anymore, but today isn't the day.

Because today, I'm talking curtains.

First though, if we're friends on Facebook or you follow me on Instagram (@supermessy_mom), you might have seen this picture last week:


This is my child, in Target, picking out accent rugs.  I pointed to the pattern on top with the blues and greens and mentioned that it would go with the colors in our kitchen.  Avery jumped right on this.  She agreed with me (since when do almost-3 year olds know what "goes" together?) and proceeded to pull the other two rugs off the shelf, telling me she "yiked dese rugs togever (you can read Toddler, right?)."  A couple weeks ago, I was lamenting here on the blog that I am not very adept at mixing patterns.  And here my toddler is doing it in the aisle of Target.....like a boss.  It should also be mentioned that we walked over to the curtain aisle, where I picked up a white and coral printed curtain panel and Avery wrinkled her nose and told me "I don't reawwy yike dat one.  Dat doesn't look berry dood wif our rug."  Point taken.  Curtains went back on the shelf.  If you're interested in inviting Avery over to do an interior design evaluation on your home, we will rent her out for a flat fee.

Anyhoo.  Back to curtains.   Awhile back...June 28th, to be exact....I found the curtains for our bedroom.  They're black and white elephant curtains from Pier 1 and I'm in love with them.  They were delivered to the store last week, I just haven't had a chance to hang them yet.  I can't wait to see what they're going to look at in our room.

The living room, however, has been a bit trickier.  You see, I've kind of got a different color scheme going on in each of my "rooms," even though it's technically one big open room.  I think it all flows together, but I want to bring different elements back and forth into each room so it definitely is all connected.  Awhile back, I posted that I was on the hunt for throw pillows for the living room.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to buy different pillows in the different colors that were in my rug or if I wanted to pull out one color and buy pillows in a variety of patterns in that color.  I still hadn't decided, so my one pillow purchased from Pier 1 has sat alone on my couch for a couple of weeks now.

Instead of deciding on pillows, I had shifted my focus to curtains.  Now, these are not going to be "functional" curtains.  I have two sets of french doors and I'm wanting to frame the doors with curtains.
Originally, because of the navy wall, I was thinking yellow curtains.  But I couldn't get anything with too much print.  There's already a whooole lot of print happening in my living room.


Houndstooth chairs and a seriously printed rug.  P.S. don't mind the Little Tykes basketball goal.  It's not normally there.  Marty and Avery have been having one-on-ones in the living room---she's Michael Jordan and he's the Monstars.  Can you tell we watch a little too much Space Jam in this household?  P.P.S., don't mind the terribleness of this picture.  My only camera is on my phone and the lighting in this room always turns out so orange whenever I take pictures of this room.  The actual room is lighter, more white with the trim and the mantle and the grey wall on the opposite side, but in pictures it always turns out so blah.  P.P.P.S., did you notice my brand new entertainment center in the left of the picture that my husband surprised me with from Kirklands after I posted a picture of it online about how much I loved it?  It goes SO well with my decor.  It's like it was meant to be. :)

So I've been trying to find something that goes with the color scheme I have going, but the yellow options just weren't panning out.

I originally bought these gold stripe Threshold brand curtains first.


In the store, the stripe looked like the green that's in my rug.  Plus, I thought a stripe would be a way to bring pattern in without it being super overwhelming.  I bought it, got it home and held it up.  It was.......okay.  But it was just boring.  It's a plain stripe.  Not really what I want.  I want to be able to pull off a fun pattern that also wasn't too much with everything else I had going on.

So I went back to Target and started again.  I picked up another yellow option.  Again, from Threshold, these curtains had yellow, grey, white.  I thought they were perfect.  I brought them home and loved them up against my navy wall, but was less than thrilled with them when I looked at them up against everything else I had going.


So I've decided to nix the yellow.  I love it against the navy and the white trim, but it just doesn't look right when everything else comes into play..  My next choice was immediately red.  I looked at a few options before finally finding these red Medallion Threshold (duh) brand curtains


They've got some dark reds, regular red and oranges in the medallion patterns.  I love them.  They're exactly what I was wanting.  Print, without being too crazy, with the background being mostly white to brighten up the room full of dark colors. 

Plus, look how awesome the curtains go with the throw pillow I had already purchased. 


I don't think I could have planned it any better.  So I'm now on going with pillows in the same color scheme--the rust/dark coral color of the pillow and that's in my rug.  Bonus on these curtains?  They're only $19.99 (everything else is $24.99) and I have a Cartwheel coupon for 20% off until Saturday AND there's a $5 off home decor coupon on target.com.  Yay saving money! 

My living room is (very slowly) starting to come together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...