Oct 30, 2012

Sick Day. Not my idea of fun.

I really dislike sick days.  I wasn't always like this.   In college, sick days were amazing...except for the being sick part, of course.  I could go back to bed and sleep for hours, wake up, eat and then go back to sleep until whatever infection or sickness that was invading my body was gone.  Those days are no more.  Now, when I have a sick day, I feel horribly guilty.  I try to sleep, but thoughts of my messy house or my to-do list run through my head.  I don't want anyone making a fuss over me.  Don't get me wrong, I love to be pampered as much as the next girl, but not when a sickness is the reason.  I want to be pampered and waited on hand and foot when I'm at the picture of health.  Not when I feel incompetent and people have to get me hot tea and medicine.  Being at home alone right now is driving me insane.  I've told myself multiple times "Just go to sleep.  You're going to feel like CRAP if you don't get enough rest."  Except I can't.  I keep staring at the shoes in the living room floor that Avery drug out last night and I didn't get a chance to put away.  I'm thinking about the load of clothes sitting in my hamper that need to be put in the washing machine.  The outgrown clothes in Avery's room that need to be boxed up and put away are nagging at me.  I notice all the little things that I need to do around the house to make it ready for potential buyers (which hasn't been very successful so far....but that's another story completely).  Instead of doing all these things, I'm sitting on the couch watching yet another re-run episode of "What Not to Wear" and "The Chew."  I know that if I don't rest and take a break, I'll run myself down and feel even worse than before.  I just think it's a mom thing.  We're so used to taking care of everyone else and running around, fitting 12 hours of work into the 3 hours that we're home after working all day, that when we have a little downtime (no matter what the reason may be) we feel guilty about it.  We feel like we don't deserve to sit down and we see the things that still need to be accomplished.  Lets give ourselves a break ladies.  We do it all (No offense men.  We recognize all the amazing things you do too) and we still push ourselves to do more.  Enjoy your life more.  Don't feel guilty about sitting on the sofa and enjoying the latest episode of "Once Upon A Time."  Don't feel guilty about running yourself a bubble bath after the kids are down for the night.  Don't feel guilty about helping yourself to that last chocolate chip cookie every once in awhile.  While our husbands are a vital part of the home and family, we think that the successfulness of a well-run home is largely to do with us.  I have some news for you guys that might be shocking: we don't have to do it all.  If we take an hour break for ourselves every once in awhile, things are not going to fall apart.  Our husbands are perfectly capable men that can handle the kids for just a little while without our help.  I'm not suggesting that we ignore our kids and husband and home every single night so we can have some "me time."  What I am suggesting is, that if we do need that little bit of me time every once in awhile, don't feel bad about it.  Why should we feel guilty about being sick?  It's not like we can help it!  So ladies, sip that Nyquil, watch that soap opera and enjoy your sick day (crazy, right?).  It may not be fun being sick, but it may be the only rest we'll get for awhile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...